Monday, October 23, 2006

Good Books

I'm compiling a list of really good books, but, because of my scattered brain, I need your help. What titles am I missing? (Man, this set up sounds like a set up for a grade-school puzzle: "Jim-Bo is trying to organise all his socks, but he needs your help! Can you put all the blue socks in their proper basket without getting eaten by the wild, man-eating candy bar? Give it a try!)

Here are the titles I have so far:

Addicted to Mediocrity
Brendan
The Elements of Style
Fahrenheit 451
Gilead
Godric
The Great Divorce
Leaving Ruin
The Lord of the Rings
The Man Who Was Thursday
Orthodoxy
Peace Like a River
Pilgrim at Tinker Creek
Perelandra
Soul Survivor
Searching for God Knows What
The Silmarillion
The Storm
Till We Have Faces
Wishful Thinking
Watership Down
What’s So Amazing About Grace?


UPDATE 10/27:But wait! There's more; here are the titles that have both been suggested by you and have lept out at me:

The Adventures of Hucklebery Finn
Cry, the Beloved Country
To Kill a Mockingbird
Walking on Water
A Wrinkle In Time


Keep the suggestions coming!

7 comments:

Why said...

Crime and Punishment.

Mat Brewster said...

Oh goodness, this could keep me up all night. And though it is already quite late and I cannot seem to find sleepiness I shall not let it.

The Grapes of Wrath: My all time favorite novel. A must read for anyone truly interested in the soul of man.

For Whom the Bell Tolls: Hemmingway at his best.

The Adventures of Hucklebery Finn: they'll try to tell you it is racist garbage, but don't listen.

Brave New World, 1984: Along the same lines as Farenheit 451, though for my money 1984 surpasses the other two by far.

Slaughterhouse Five: Raunchy, post-modern, hilarious and quite moving

The Big Sleep, or the Long Goodbye: I can never decide which Chandler I like better. I'm not entirely sure either books speak to the big picture, but they're great detective stories, and my world is a better place for them.

One Flew Over the Cukoos Nest: Just a great read

The Electric Kool Aid Acid Test: I'll probably get flack for this one, but it's a darn good book about a fascinating moment in the last hundred years of American history

To Kill a Mockingbird: See the movie, read the book. Atticus Finch is my hero.

There are plenty more, but that's all I can think of at the moment. I also have to admit I stole many of them from
this list, which is a good source for this sort of thing.

Eucharisto said...

Cry, The beloved country, to start with.

A Wrinkle In Time

Walking on Water (I'm in a Madeleine L'Engle mood!)

Something Wiked This Way Comes

Phantastes

Like others have said, I have more, but I'll have to ponder them.

Meiska said...

Ohh, alphabetical order! Spiffy!

I second the nomination of Walking on Water

Tuesday's Child said...

Ooh, this is fun!

First off, we need some Dickens, so I'll vote Our Mutual Friend-Dickens last book and my favorite.

Christ Plays In Ten Thousand Places by Eugene Peterson: It's theology and poetry and everything I believe.

At The Back Of The North Wind by George MacDonald: One of those books for children that gets to the core of everyone's heart.

I'll second the vote for Crime and Punishment.

The Giver by Lois Lowry.

Daniel Deronda by George Eliot.

I'd better stop, this will keep me up all night. Great idea!

Anonymous said...

one of the saddest Ive ever red is Bridge to Teribithia

Andrew Price said...

Really?

I've never read it. I heard it was good, though.

I'm assuming you liked it?