Monday, August 31, 2009

Christmas

This is a good time to make a top ten favorite Christmas songs list, right?

My brother was just talking about the song "Here It Is" (from Over the Rhine's Snow Angels), and I was thinking about how it's probably on my list of top ten favorite Christmas songs.

And then I thought "Oh no! I don't have a top ten list of favorite Christmas songs!"

Thus, this blogpost.

Here we go:

"God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen" (I don't know if I'll put artists with each of the songs, but T Bone Burnett does a great version of this song)

"Here It Is" Over the Rhine. Joyful. Sad. Exuberant. A celebration of the big, sad, messiness of life. And of the wonder we find.

"Star of Wonder" Sufjan Stevens. As near as I can tell, this is God talking to the star of Bethlehem. Good stuff.

"Sister Winter" Sufjan Stevens. I have to put this one here too. Probably one of the songs that is most personal to me.

"O Come, O Come Emmanuel." My favorite Christmas song. The name "Emmanuel" means a lot to me as one of the names of God.

"White Horse" Over the Rhine.

"A Stick, a Carrot, and a String" mewithoutYou. A good reminder of what Christ came here on Earth to do. It is not wholly a Christmas song, but it starts off with a nice "Friendly Beasts" kind of feel.

"Holy Emmanuel" Terry Scott Taylor

No comments: