Friday, October 15, 2004

Ramble

I tend to hold books and movies to different standards from each other. This is understandable for they are, after all, different mediums.

Still... it seems to me that, when boiled down, the elements of story are the same.

Right?

So why should I throw a fit if a film asks me to invest in it? Why should I not tolerate a film that leaves me with more questions than answers? G. K. Chesterton, Frederic Buechner, J. R. R. Tolkien, Flannery O'Connor, C. S. Lewis and Alan Paton--some of my favorite authors--all have written books which do just that. They allow for multiple visits and multiple interpretations of their minor themes while there major themes are simply made clearer with each visit.

What I’m saying is why not view films with this same attitude of exploration?

No comments: